Tuesday, August 4, 2015

A word from last year's adventure award winner

     Hello Kaléo 2015/16! I’m Sam Gordon, last year’s Adventure Award winner. I know you are, or at least you should be, super excited for this awesome experience that is coming up soon. The next year of your life will change you in more ways than you can imagine right now. It is hopeless for me to try and describe to you the experiences you will have and how it will affect you, but I can give you some advice on how to get the most out of your Kaléo year. When I came into the program last year I had a really good idea of what I was getting into; my older brother had done Kaléo 3 years earlier so I heard tons of stories and about what I would be doing. Even with all of that, I really didn’t know how it was really going to affect me. I expected to have fun, grow a little and learn about the Bible, but I got so much more! I had a lot of my expectations shattered and eventually I had to abandon my preconceived notions about the year and let God work in me. You all probably have some expectations for the year, which is normal, just don’t let those expectations sculpt your year. Don’t put God in a box! 

     One of the biggest keys for this year is knowing yourself and how you learn. You must understand that academics and classroom learning are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the education you have access to. Be prepared to learn at any time, some of your greatest moments of growth and learning can happen on the side of a mountain or on some beach! Something that really helped me out was talking about what I had been learning with my peers outside of class. I had an awesome roommate that I could always throw questions and thoughts at, and he would do the same right back at me. Honestly, that made the classes for me. Be comfortable talking with others about what you are experiencing and learning, it will help you so much! 

     I won the Adventure Award, so I should probably give you a little insight into that portion of the program... To be short, it makes the Kaléo program what it is. I would say that the adventure component has the greatest capacity to change you deeply. There is something about how God speaks to you when you are in His Creation. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to grow in your relationship with God and to push yourself deeper! Adventure brings together the community and academic components; it’s about having the time of your life and realizing the truths you learn in class. I always felt that reflecting on the past class while on an out trip was a great way to not only memorize what I had learned but also implement it into my life. My advice for you while you are on adventures is to be vulnerable. If you are intimidated by a challenge you are facing, talk to someone! I am positive that there will be someone around that will encourage you and enable you to do things you never thought possible. If you are one of those people that feels confident during a specific adventure, reach out and help your friends! Be that person for someone else! Be a shoulder to lean on, because at some point you will need someone to lean on. 

    So obviously focus on your spiritual growth and put considerable effort towards it all of the time, but don’t forget one of the most important things: have fun! My advice is to work hard when it is time, but have fun whenever you can. I can guarantee that if you go through this year and don’t intentionally have fun you will be very disappointed. Having fun breeds community. Organize games, walk to town with your friends, and just hangout with people! Academics and your commitments are very important, but make sure you have a great time along the way. 

     If anyone has questions or wants to know about the program from a student’s perspective feel free to send me a Facebook message. Praying for an awesome year of growth and maturity for all of you! Can’t wait to hear the stories and see pictures from all of your adventures together!! 



Sincerely, 
Sam Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment