Wednesday, August 26, 2015

A word from last year's Ministry award winner

     Hello future graduates of Kaléo 2016! I’m Melanie Ventura, last year’s Ministry Award winner. Looking back, I think about all the feelings at were rushing through mind and heart weeks before starting the program and I am sure some of you are feeling the same way. This coming year has a lot in store for you... God has a lot in store for you. As you may know, our lives as Christians is a full-time life of ministry; and this year will be an incredible foundation for your life of vocational or non-vocation ministry. Some of you will go on to camp or church ministry, or even missions. While others of you may be called to secular post-secondary schooling or workplace ministry. Both are equally ministry.
     Throughout the year, I started to really notice the intentional ministries that the Kaléo Program comes to develop. As students you will have the opportunity to serve in local churches to serve alongside of the ministries that are already established.  I have served in a church setting before and was able to use what I have learned back home to enhance the experience of youth group here in Ladysmith. You will also have the ability to serve in ministry here at Camp Qwanoes, I have had the chance to be a camp counselor and an assistant head counselor. I was slightly out of my comfort zone at first but through the whole process I was blessed with excellent leaders to walk alongside me.
     There is another ministry that will impact your lives more than you know, and that exists within your own live-in community. Ministry opportunities will be all around you. This includes your roommates, the Qwanoes staff, campers coming on retreats and anyone who comes as a guest. My advice in this ministry is to be present. This ministry will impact you the most when you fully immerse yourself in it.
     If there was one thing that I know for sure about a life of ministry, it’s that only way to be fruitful in all aspects; is for you to build a day that includes personal devotions with God and digging into His Word. My year would have looked a lot different if I hadn’t been intentional about my time with God.

     During the Kaléo Program I was able to grow exponentially in my faith and personal walk with God.  I have come to a place in my Christian walk were I can make choices to discern if what I am taking part in is reaching God’s Holy standards. God has called me to higher standards. Trust me I will fail but I can be sure God will take my hand and pick me right back up. This is my prayer for you and I trust God will do great things for all of you, as he has for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment