Thursday, August 13, 2015

A word from last year's Community award winner

Hi Everyone,

Can you believe that you will be starting the Kaleo Program in less than a month?! If you are anything like I was, you are probably a little nervous, a little overwhelmed, and more than a little excited. You are about to embark on one of the best years of your life that will be unlike any other. It is going to be filled with adventure, learning, ministry, growth and of course, lots of new friends.



My name is Nora Cullen and this past year I was the community award winner. Community is a huge part of the Kaleo program and it is one of the things that makes the program so special. You are about to enter a community of people that does basically everything together. This does have some challenges don’t get me wrong, but it also has huge rewards. You are about to make friends that love you for who you are and will want to see you succeed in everything you do. You are about to make friends that will care deeply for you and will be genuinely concerned about how you are doing. You are about to make friends that you will have countless inside jokes with that will make you laugh no matter what the circumstance. Trust me, the friends you make during the Kaleo program are friends that you will have for life, but it is going to take some work on your part to make that happen.

The first thing I would encourage you to do is spend time with people. This sounds silly, but it is sometimes easy to get caught up in other things and lose sight of how important it is to spend time with the people around you. Throughout the Kaleo program there will be free time that you will get to decide what to do with. It is easy in those hours to just want to sit in your room and browse Facebook or text a friend from back home. However I encourage you to take advantage of the time you have to have fun with your classmates. Some of my most memorable moments from last year were the times when my classmates and I would organize some kind of fun activity and just spend time together. These activities ranged from volleyball games, to campfires on the beach, to Dutch blitz tournaments, to walking to Crofton to get ice cream, to even just sitting by the fire place talking about what God had been teaching us lately. Those crazy times of spontaneous activities are the ones that I will remember forever, so I encourage you to do the same!

The second thing I would encourage you to do is be real and vulnerable with each other. It took me a while to get to that place where I was honest with people about who I was and what I was struggling with. But once I did I watched as my friendships grew and deepened in ways I would’ve never thought possible. So my advice to you is don’t be afraid to be honest with each other, and don’t be afraid to ask tough questions to the people around you.

I guess the best advice I can give you about the Kaleo Program is to make sure that you have balance. Balance the time that you spend in the books, with the time that you spend with your friends. Balance the time that you are hard at work, with the time that you take to have tons of fun. You should know that the past year of Kaleo students have been praying for you since about last February, and I am sure that they continue to do so.  We are all excited to see your pictures and hear your stories about how you experienced God during your year of the Kaleo Program.

With many blessings and prayers,
Nora Cullen


No comments:

Post a Comment