Saturday, August 29, 2015

A word from last year's leadership award winner

So your year is about to start! That's pretty exciting! So I'm Denver Knodel and I was last years recipient of the leadership award. It's not something that I really expected when I began my year, but God had some different plans for me in that season. So after a bit of reflection on leadership and whatnot I'd like to share what I think are some important elements of leadership. Discipline to speak and act when you are needed. Leaders take action to get their community moving forward to the goals that are set before you. You're here to learn about leadership, so don't be afraid if you don't know instinctively what to do or say. Trust that God is more committed to your community than you are, and that He will show you what you can do to be a part of His plan for this year. Humility to admit your failures. I made mistakes in my year, but it took me a while to own them and do what needed to be done for the community. Don't do that. Everyone at Qwanoes wants you to succeed and learn what it is to lead well, and they will walk withyou through whatever struggles you're having. When I finally owned up to the mistakes i made and called the community back to what we had set out to do, the reward was worth the uncomfortable vulnerable moments. Being a peacemaker. You guys are going to argue and disagree and get stressed out and say things or think things about people that just are not good or helpful. When you realize that stuff like that is going on between your friends; get involved. Don't pretend that troubles aren't there, deal with them in whatever way you can. When you blow it in your community or church, make the first move in seeking reconciliation. Eight months can be a long, long time if you have to hold a grudge... You guys have an amazing year ahead of you. You're gonna do stuff and go places, and become better leaders in all of it. I'm super stoked for every one of you, and I can't wait for you to join the ranks of Kaleo alumni!

No comments:

Post a Comment